Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Begin as You Mean to Go On

Blogging is requiring a little more discipline than I had anticipated.  Committing to blogging three times a week didn't seem like a big deal at the beginning, but as life slides by, one day running into the next, it's easy to think, "Oh, I'll do it tomorrow".  The mundane tasks of life: washing dishes, filling out school forms, laundry, bathing kids, making meals, etc. steals any creative thoughts and energy that I have to put towards blogging.  By the time I have a minute for myself, I'm too worn down, and my mind doesn't want to settle on anything that requires real thought.  It would be easy to let it go, especially when things get busy.  But I kind of like that I have given myself a personal goal.  When you don't work outside of the home, and you don't have a boss or work deadlines to keep you in check, you can lose whole chunks of time to things that matter, but aren't really worth remembering.  It's not uncommon for me to not know what day of the week it is!  All the minutiae of life requires attending to, but if you let it completely take over, you'll look back at your year when writing the family Christmas letter and think, "What did I actually do this year?".

I like the saying, "Begin as you mean to go on", and I think that it really applies here.  I don't want to peter out or churn out drivel.  I want to be consistent and improve on my writing skills.  I want quality over quantity, but I also want quantity.  I enjoy writing, and as anyone who knows me can tell you, I'm never without an opinion.  So this is good for me, self-imposed deadlines and expectations to help me refine my skills and winnow my thoughts.  Hopefully it will entertain my readers in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment